It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: slip sliding away?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:49 pm 
Lost Soul
Lost Soul

Hi, I'm new to these forums, and I'd like to become familiar with the advanced tricks of PoR since it's one of my favorite games. Anyway, I don't know if this has been discussed at all, but I think it's pretty good, and since nothing is listed about it in the movement section of advanced techniques I decided I'd make an account and post about it, sorry if it's already known/isn't useful.

Anyway, the list of movement tricks looks like this:
Quote:
Fastest way of moving around?

Fastest
1) Charlotte's Speed Up spell (charged) + jump kicks
2) Charlotte's Speed Up spell + jump kicks
3) Winged Boots + jump kicks
4) Mercury Boots + jump kicks
5) Running + jump kicks

Adding jump kicks while moving is always faster than not adding them. Just make sure you jump kick high enough. Not too high or else you will roll once you land, and not too low or else you won't be gaining any extra distance.

just so it's fresh in everyone's head.

It warns you not do double jump too high, or else you'll roll when you land from the jump kick. However, you can cancel the roll with a slide, and you can cancel the slide by switching to charlotte, then switch back and repeat. Or, you can just cancel the roll by switching, or you can just constantly slide by alternating down b/y, though there is a certain rhythm involved to get the fastest speed, it's not really hard at all.

Anyway, I don't know if any of those techniques are known, or if they would be faster than the techniques already listed. I trust that anyone could find out about them, and if they are already known about, then I apologize for wasting time, but if they aren't and can be used than High fives all around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:16 pm 
BORED AS ALL HELL
BORED AS ALL HELL

Hmm, you mean like without speed up:

1) jump kick high
2) while rolling, slide and then press change character twice (to cancel slide and turn back into Jonathan)
3) repeat

Correct right? Since if speed up is on, changing back to Jonathan cancels speed up.

As for the slide/switch, other than changing button layout to make it easier, is there a certain trick to it? Since I always seem to stop for a split second when changing character. Maybe it's because I'm holding down which makes the character stop or I'm switching too slow. Or do you mean [slide, switch while holding forward] x n?

Also, welcome to the forums. :)
Forum might be inactive since nothing new is happening, but it might be active again when DXC or other new CV games come along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:27 am 
Lost Soul
Lost Soul

Persona wrote:
Hmm, you mean like without speed up:

1) jump kick high
2) while rolling, slide and then press change character twice (to cancel slide and turn back into Jonathan)
3) repeat

Correct right? Since if speed up is on, changing back to Jonathan cancels speed up.

As for the slide/switch, other than changing button layout to make it easier, is there a certain trick to it? Since I always seem to stop for a split second when changing character. Maybe it's because I'm holding down which makes the character stop or I'm switching too slow. Or do you mean [slide, switch while holding forward] x n?

Also, welcome to the forums. :)
Forum might be inactive since nothing new is happening, but it might be active again when DXC or other new CV games come along.

Yes, I meant for it to be used before getting the speed up spell.

What I do is

1) high jump kick
2) roll/slide
3) hold forward while sliding and switch to charlotte then back again.

If you do it right you shouldn't stop moving at all, but there is a slight delay between jumps due to switching characters. I'm not sure whether this slight delay hampers the speed of the trick in comparison to just low jump kicks or not, I'll test it out tomorrow morning, I don't feel like playing much at the moment.

Also, before you even get the double jump ability you can just slide and switch characters and slide and switch characters ad nauseum. Though there's a bit of a rhythm involved with that to get the maximum amount of speed, but if you just fool around with it you should be able to find it.

What I do is hit x and then delay the b button, but only by a very slight amount, I treat it as one motion (x to b, I use my middle finger on x and index on b and alternate in a tapping motion.) It doesn't matter when you switch characters during the slide, so long as you do it before they slow down near the end of the slide.

Also, you can switch characters after crashing into the downed pillar after behemoth knocks you through the room to cancel the stun of the hit there too. Just a little time saver, but I don't think there is really a competitive speed running community for this game, which kinda makes me sad.

I tried using the character switching after being hit by other attacks/enemies to see if it could be used as a sort of enemy boost like in metroid, but to no avail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:41 am 
!?
!?

Brookman wrote:
Just a little time saver, but I don't think there is really a competitive speed running community for this game, which kinda makes me sad.

viewtopic.php?t=144

Feel free to revive it, I'd be glad if you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:29 pm 
BORED AS ALL HELL
BORED AS ALL HELL

Brookman wrote:
Also, you can switch characters after crashing into the downed pillar after behemoth knocks you through the room to cancel the stun of the hit there too.

Ah, nice tip! Even though it saves time by just a split seocnd, it makes a run look more professional.

Brookman wrote:
Just a little time saver, but I don't think there is really a competitive speed running community for this game, which kinda makes me sad.

IMO the main reason is because there's no actual way to record DS games unless you worked in a game company or for a gaming magazine so people tend not to concentrate much until things can be shown with quality. Another reason could be that once the game came out, a lot of people didn't enjoy it as much as they planned to due to all the recycling and stuff.